Spilling the T on Low-T: Low Testosterone and Male Menopause
It’s normal for hormone levels, specifically testosterone production, to change as we progress through life. However, sometimes a change in hormones may lead to unwanted symptoms that affect quality of life.
The American Urology Association identifies low blood testosterone as less than 300 nanograms per deciliter (ng/dL) in men. These are the symptoms that may accompany low testosterone (Low-T):
- Low sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reduced lean muscle mass
Fortunately, there are some modifications you can make to improve your testosterone levels naturally without further intervention.
The lifestyle recommendations for Low-T are typical of general recommendations for healthy living. Let’s take a look at why some of these may be especially important for increasing testosterone.
- Maintain a healthy weight: An increase in body fat leads to increased activity of aromatase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen.
- Exercise regularly: Strength training and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) increase short- and long-term testosterone levels.
- Minimize stress: Easier said than done, right? The stress hormone cortisol and testosterone have an opposite relationship.
- Reduce alcohol intake: Alcohol increases the conversion of testosterone to estrogen.
- Avoid other environmental factors that reduce testosterone such as:
- Opioid prescription pain medications
- BPA – Do not microwave food in plastic containers.
- Phthalates – Found in plastics and some personal care products.
- Organophosphates – AKA pesticides/herbicides. Eat organic foods.
- Sleep well: Once again… easier said than done. Most of the body’s testosterone is made during deep sleep when a person is in Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep. If you want tips to improve your sleep, head over to our blog post Tired but Can’t Sleep: Pharmacist’s Lifestyle and Supplement Tips.
Consider taking supplements to improve testosterone levels. Here are KC Pro-Nutrients pharmacists’ recommendations for supporting healthy testosterone levels in men:
- Adrenal Aid from KC Pro-Nutrients supports the body’s stamina and stress response.
- Optimal T from KC Pro-Nutrients supports healthy testosterone levels, libido, vitality, and cognition.
- Phyto Estro Block from KC Pro-Nutrients supports healthy aromatase activity and may help with menopausal symptoms.
Have questions about supplement recommendations? Our pharmacists will happily consult with you and answer any questions you may have. Contact us to learn more.