Tired but Can’t Sleep: Pharmacist’s Lifestyle and Supplement Tips
Many lifestyle choices can lead to poor sleep quality. Some of the common causes of poor sleep include excess caffeine and alcohol, travel or work schedules that disrupt sleep patterns, stress, medical conditions, medication side effects, and eating too late in the evening.
Sleep quality can directly affect your mental and physical health. More commonly known affects include lack of alertness and increased risk of car accidents. Some of the more serious potential outcomes associated with chronic sleep deprivation include high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack, and stroke.
To treat insomnia, first and foremost, adjust your lifestyle. Make sure to:
- Keep your bedtime and wake time consistent from day to day.
- Stay active.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Check your medications to see if they contribute to insomnia.
- Avoid eating large meals before bedtime.
- Try to expose yourself to bright sunlight in the morning.
Additionally, consider using supplements to enhance sleep quality. Here are KC Pro-Nutrients pharmacists’ standard recommendations for improving sleep quality:
- Optimal Magnesium from KC Pro-Nutrients enhances the body’s natural drowsiness signaling.
- Melatonin SR from KC Pro-Nutrients regulates the circadian rhythm.
- L-Theanine from Xymogen reduces stress and promotes relaxation.
As always, our pharmacists will happily consult with you and answer any questions you may have. Contact us to learn more about supplements for improving sleep quality.