How to Improve Immunity
Author: Taylor Zheng, PharmD Candidate 2023
What is the immune system?
The immune system works to protect your body from bacteria, viruses, fungi, and toxins.3 By keeping yourself healthy, your immune system is strengthened and can keep you well protected from microbe invaders. Ways to help improve your immunity are listed below.
Ways to improve immunity
Wash hands often
- Study done in 2011 showed that handwashing with soap, compared to no handwashing, led to a 36% decrease in bacteria.6 With a decrease in bacteria, there is a decreased risk of contracting an infection.
- Fruits and vegetables
- Healthy fats
- Fermented foods/probiotics
- Probiotic foods have live “good” bacteria8
- Prebiotic foods have fiber and oligosaccharides that help to feed and maintain healthy colonies of those bacteria8
- Has been shown to increase creation and release of pro-inflammatory cytokines, which play a role in immune system health.9 Cytokines help to direct immune cells to the site of infection.11
- Staying hydrated means you have a balanced lymphatic system, which means that toxins and other debris will be cleared from the body efficiently. 14
Plenty of rest
- While you sleep, your body learns to increase the inflammatory processes, which then leads to an increased production of cytokines. Cytokines help to relay messages throughout the immune system.13
Managing stress levels
- Studies have shown that different immune consequences occur with different types of stress events12
- Analysis of the British Cold Study found that current smokers had a higher risk ratio for infection (1.12, 95% CI 1.01,1.25) and illness (1.48 , 95% CI 1.11,1.96) compared to noncurrent smokers.5
Drink alcohol moderately
- Long term excessive alcohol use can suppress your immune system, which can result in a higher likelihood of falling ill.4
- Vaccines provide a disease blueprint to your immune system, thereby helping to fight future germs faster.7 Check in with your pharmacist or healthcare professional to determine what vaccines you may need to stay up to date.
Nutritional supplements may help to boost your immune system. KC Pro-Nutrients pharmacists recommend these supplements:
- Querca Max from KC Pro-Nutrients works to decrease the action of histamine, thereby providing support when hypersensitivity events occur.
- Beta Glucan Immune from KC Pro-Nutrients helps to support the immune system through activation of specific components of the immune system (macrophages, neutrophils, T-cells).
- Vitamin D3 from KC Pro-Nutrients helps to support the immune system.
If you are interested in supplements to strengthen your immune system, feel free to reach out to learn more. Our pharmacists are always happy to speak with you!
Vitamin C 200 mg
Quercetin 400 mg
Stinging Nettle Aqueous Extract 200 mg
Bromelain 100 mg
Rutin 100 mg
N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine 100 mg
Dihydroquercetin 40 mg
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) 125 mcg (5000 IU)
Whole glucan particle (beta-glucan naturally derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae) 250 mg